Daily Pilates Pose 24: Side Kick Series
3. Small Circles
4. Side Passe’
5. Inner Thigh Lifts
7. Grande Ronde de Jambe
8. Transition: Heel Beats
The body position for the Side Kick series remains the same throughout each exercise.
1. Lie on your side with your elbow, shoulder, midback, and buttocks in line with the back edge of your mat.
2. Position your legs long, at a forty-five-degree angle in front of your body.
1. Lift your top leg to hip height and turn it out ever so slightly from the hip to disengage the thigh.
2. Swing your leg to the front and pulse it twice as far forward as it will go without rocking forward in your hips.
3. Exhale, swing your leg back, reaching it behind you.
4. Complete 10 repetitions. End by bringing your heels back together.
1. Inhale and left your top leg straight up to the ceiling.
2. Exhale as you resist gravity on the way back down, stretching your leg long.
3. Complete 5 repetitions and end with your heels together.
1. Lift your top heel just above your bottom heel and begin circling your leg from the hip in a small but vigorous forward motion.
2. Complete 5 circles forward, then reverse for 5 circles backward. End by bringing your heels together.
1. Lift your top leg straight up to the ceiling. Bend your knee and bring your foot down to the inside of the opposite thigh. Slide your foot down the length of the leg until it is straight, then lift it to the ceiling again.
2. Complete 3-5 repetitions, then reverse the motion by drawing the foot into the body, lifting it straight to the ceiling, and then resisting gravity as you lower it down to the stationary leg.
3. Complete 3-5 repetitions in each direction. End by bringing the heels together.
1. Lie on your side with your left foot crossed in front of your right leg, foot flat on the floor, and kneecap facing the ceiling.
2. Stretch your arm on the ground above your head, and rest your head on it.
3. Lift your straight leg off the floor, turning your heel slightly toward the ceiling.
4. Lift and lower your leg without letting it touch the mat.
5. Complete 5-10 repetitions. Then hold the leg in the lifted position, pulsing it upward 10 times.
6. End by bringing both heels back together.
1. Swing your top leg back, bend your knee foot reaching behind you. Bring the knee in front of your body, then extend the leg in front of you. As if you are pedaling a large bicycle.
2. Pedal forward 3 times and then reverse the sequence and pedal backwards three times.
Grande Ronde de Jambe
1. Lift your top leg to hip height, keeping it slightly turned out.
2. Inhale and swing your leg to the front. Slide your foot up the wall in front of you, rotate the leg in the hip socket and reach back to the corner of the wall behind you.
3. Swing your leg to the front and repeat the sequence 2-3 times: swing forward, lift, rotate, stretch back.
4. Reverse the motion by swinging your leg back, lifting your foot to the ceiling, rotating your leg in the hip socket, and then bringing it to hip height in front of you.
5. Repeat 2-3 times in each direction. End by bringing your heels together.
Transition: Heel Beats
1. Lie on your stomach, squeezing the backs of your legs together, and rest your forehead on the back of your hands.
2. Lift both thighs off the mat, keeping your legs straight and heels together.
3. Hold your legs in the air and beat your heels together lightly.
4. Inhale for 5 beats, exhale for 5 beats.
5. End by sitting back on your heels to release your lower back.